Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:18
German to English
What about your clients? Jan 25, 2008

amky wrote:

i'm productive when i have no dead line

You may not have a deadline, but I'm sure your clients do!

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tight-ish Jan 25, 2008

John Cutler wrote:

I even wear a T-shirt that proclaims, "Procrastinators of the world unite - tomorrow."

LOVE the t-shirt

I'm also a born procrastinator, so I like tight-ish deadlines.

Still, I usually try to wrangle 1000-1500 words/day deadlines out of clients, because I hardly ever work on just one translation per day, so when you start to add 1000 words for A, 500 for B, 1500 for C...

I learnt this the hard way: with my first credit card

[Edited at 2008-01-25 13:31]

Satu Ilva
Satu Ilva  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:48
English to Finnish
+ ...
Somewhere in the middle Jan 25, 2008

The amount of procrastination seems to grow exponentially depending on how little work I have to do, as in if I only have a little, I put it off and off until it actually really is urgent. That said, I try to get things done with enough time to put the text to rest at least for a couple of hours before proofing it. If I have a fair amount of work then I try to get on with it, so as not to fall behind.

I have one client who never specifies a deadline and I find that disturbing becaus
... See more
The amount of procrastination seems to grow exponentially depending on how little work I have to do, as in if I only have a little, I put it off and off until it actually really is urgent. That said, I try to get things done with enough time to put the text to rest at least for a couple of hours before proofing it. If I have a fair amount of work then I try to get on with it, so as not to fall behind.

I have one client who never specifies a deadline and I find that disturbing because I can't get it out of them whether they want it today or next week! I prefer to know down to the hour when jobs are due.
Collapse

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 00:48
German to English
+ ...
Is it just me, or .... Jan 31, 2008

does the job always expand to fit the deadline, no matter how much time you allow?

I think my problem is being too picky. I'm never *quite* satisfied with it, so will continue to make adjustments to my translation until the deadline forces me to actually stop fussing and send it!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I personally work best when I have a:

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »