Term search
Thread poster: Lesley Clarke
lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:38
Portuguese to English
not that sudden Feb 27, 2011

I first noticed this a few months ago when searching unsucessfully for an accented term (I forget what). It turned out the term was in the glossary all the time but without accents.

This is unfortunate, as you rightly point out, especially when many people (to judge from Kudos in my pair) do not use accents, either out of haste or because they don't have the right keyboard. One wonders why Proz has adopted this policy, when Google and IATE, for example, are not accent sensitive. I f
... See more
I first noticed this a few months ago when searching unsucessfully for an accented term (I forget what). It turned out the term was in the glossary all the time but without accents.

This is unfortunate, as you rightly point out, especially when many people (to judge from Kudos in my pair) do not use accents, either out of haste or because they don't have the right keyboard. One wonders why Proz has adopted this policy, when Google and IATE, for example, are not accent sensitive. I for one would like to see this changed.
Collapse

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:38
Greek to English
Definitely undesirable Feb 28, 2011

I hadn't noticed this, but for Greek I certainly don't want the search engine to be sensitive to accents. Apart from anything else, I sometimes want to search for terms that are written in all capitals and do not have accents at all. The term search should be case- and accent-insensitive, or should at least have that option.

Elliot Everett (X)
Elliot Everett (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:38
Spanish to English
I agree. Jul 2, 2012

The term search on Proz should most definitely be "accent insensitive."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »