Barbara Grazina
Portugal
Local time: 07:53
Member (May 2024)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 4

Hello fellow language professionals

I am new to the translation work and have recently been asked by a client to translate a book (from German to Portuguese). However, this client is not the author of the book and, since I am interested in accepting the offer, I was wondering if it makes any sense for him to ask me to translate a book of which he is not the author. I've always thought that when someone's book is translated, the translator ought to be in direct contact with the autho
... See more
Hello fellow language professionals

I am new to the translation work and have recently been asked by a client to translate a book (from German to Portuguese). However, this client is not the author of the book and, since I am interested in accepting the offer, I was wondering if it makes any sense for him to ask me to translate a book of which he is not the author. I've always thought that when someone's book is translated, the translator ought to be in direct contact with the author - it just makes more sense and is of course necessary for the translator to clear any doubt he may have about the source text.
Also, just to clarify, my client is involved in an organisation that is related to the contents of the book and that is why he is interested in having the book translated.

I am also wondering that maybe the author of the book in question can't even afford to translate his book or that he may not be interested in translating it into my language (for now, at least). If that would be the case, then it seems to make sense that my client pays me for the translation while I am still in contact with the author for the reasons above mentioned.

What is your exeperience with such projects? Should I propose my client to directely contact the author?

Thank you all.

[Modificato alle 2024-06-04 11:58 GMT]
Collapse

Ramzie Alrtb

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
. Jun 4

Surely your client must have already been in contact with the author to get their permission to translate the book?

I have translated technical books - my client was the publishing company, but the author was definitely involved and I always had the opportunity to ask them questions.

Barbara Grazina
expressisverbis
Ramzie Alrtb

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Barbara Jun 4

Have you ever worked with this client? Are you sure he/she isn't a scammer? Scammers are always looking for people who don't have much experience. Personally, I've only translated two technical books, one in collaboration with other translators and one on my own. In both cases I was hired by the publisher. As Rachel has already said, translating a book always requires authorisation from the author and/or the publisher…

Zea_Mays
Barbara Grazina
Rachel Waddington
expressisverbis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Barbara Jun 4

First, consider the possibility that this is a scammer.

Second, it is perfectly legal to translate a book for a client even without permission of the book's copyright holder, but... then the client can only use your translation in a personal capacity. If the client wants to publish the translation or distribute the translation, then the client must first get permission from the book's copyright holder.

While it is not your responsibility to ensure that the client has p
... See more
First, consider the possibility that this is a scammer.

Second, it is perfectly legal to translate a book for a client even without permission of the book's copyright holder, but... then the client can only use your translation in a personal capacity. If the client wants to publish the translation or distribute the translation, then the client must first get permission from the book's copyright holder.

While it is not your responsibility to ensure that the client has permission from the copyright holder before you start the translation, you do owe your client an ethical responsibility to educate your client about copyright and about the effect that it would have if he doesn't have permission from the copyright holder.

I was wondering if it makes any sense for him to ask me to translate a book of which he is not the author.

It is not necessary for the translator to have any contact with the author of the book. You are not breaking any laws or acting unethically by translating a book without the author's permission or without involving the author.

The big question is, however: does your client intend to publish or distribute the translation? If yes, then you must insist that the client gets permission from the copyright holder.

If your client lies to you about having permission to have the book translated, and you translate the book, then you have copyright of your translation, but you can't do anything with your translation such as sell it or publish it yourself... unless you first get permission from the original book's author.

I've always thought that when someone's book is translated, the translator ought to be in direct contact with the author - it just makes more sense and is of course necessary for the translator to clear any doubt he may have about the source text.

Sure, it makes a lot of sense for the translator to be able to contact the original author (though not all authors are willing to talk to translators). It's not standard practice, however. It really depends on the author, the publisher and the client.
Collapse

Barbara Grazina
Rachel Waddington

Barbara Grazina
Barbara Grazina
Portugal
Member (May 2024)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Jun 4

Thank you for your extensive response.

The good news is that I have worked with this client before and thus know he is not a scammer. I asked my client if his intention is to publish the translation, saying that in that case the author's permission would be necessary.

Rachel Waddington
Zea_Mays

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On who to translate a book for

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »