Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you think ProZ.com has improved its services in recent years?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 23

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you think ProZ.com has improved its services in recent years?".

This poll was originally submitted by Christina Pauly. View the poll results »

sarahburton

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:19
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jun 23

With all the bugs that got introduced in the so-called “upgrade process”, a number of unresolved issues and a mix of ill-conceived features, how can I speak of improvement in recent years?

writeaway
Becca Resnik
Michele Fauble
Philip Lees
Barbara Carrara
ipv
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:19
German to English
+ ...
Definitely NO, the opposite! Jun 24

I really had hopes too for first 10 years, but has been going downhill for last 10....

Note: The site keeps track of who votes Yes/No/etc. These polls are not anonymous. You're being watched.

Wasted potential.

Philip Lees
Barbara Carrara
ipv
Aurélien ARPAZ
Anette Hilgendag

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Joke Jun 24

This question is a joke, right?

Edith van der Have
Josephine Cassar
Paul Adie
ibz
Daryo

Christina Pauly
Christina Pauly  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
No joke intended! Jun 24

Dear all,
No, my question was not intended as a joke at all, rather as an opportunity for you - the site users - to name any services you might be dissatisfied with in the hope of initiating possible improvements.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes, unfortunately Jun 24

A few core services haven’t worked properly, but they’ve added a lot of new services which will be useful for amateurs, chancers and the lazy, clueless and incompetent. Oh, here I go again. AI, yada, yada. But seriously, here’s my foot, ProZ, wanna put a bullet in it?

The place used to be about helping clients find pro translators. Now it seems focused almost entirely on making money from crappy “trainings” and “tools” that can be used to lure in beginners.

... See more
A few core services haven’t worked properly, but they’ve added a lot of new services which will be useful for amateurs, chancers and the lazy, clueless and incompetent. Oh, here I go again. AI, yada, yada. But seriously, here’s my foot, ProZ, wanna put a bullet in it?

The place used to be about helping clients find pro translators. Now it seems focused almost entirely on making money from crappy “trainings” and “tools” that can be used to lure in beginners.

While it has always been a business, it never used to feel like one. It now feels increasingly monetised, like YouTube or Prime or streaming channels where you have to pay more and more for less, or extra to avoid adverts. (That’s not a suggestion!)

Luckily I only come for the craic.
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Paul Adie
Anette Hilgendag
Annette Fehr
Anton Konashenok

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No⁴ Jun 24

But I don't think it's because of bad intentions, quite the opposite in some cases. But we know, the road to hell is paved with good intentions...
In other cases, I think they were unaware of bugs and key features that did not work, such as the Connect messaging system, which was discovered almost by accident thanks to Thomas F. just recently, and how important it is that they work and that problems are fixed quickly.
I really hope things will improve with the new platform announced
... See more
But I don't think it's because of bad intentions, quite the opposite in some cases. But we know, the road to hell is paved with good intentions...
In other cases, I think they were unaware of bugs and key features that did not work, such as the Connect messaging system, which was discovered almost by accident thanks to Thomas F. just recently, and how important it is that they work and that problems are fixed quickly.
I really hope things will improve with the new platform announced for ProZ's 25th anniversary.

[Bearbeitet am 2024-06-24 09:25 GMT]
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Christina Jun 24

Christina Pauly wrote:

Dear all,
No, my question was not intended as a joke at all, rather as an opportunity for you - the site users - to name any services you might be dissatisfied with in the hope of initiating possible improvements.

As a long-standing ProZ member, what's your take on the ProZ performance over the years?
What would be your answer to your own question?

If you follow the fora at all, you may have noticed how widespread - and growing - the dissatisfaction is among members and users alike, on topics like AI, bugs, the push for Premium subscriptions (and Pastey), the 'improvements', allowing bottom feeders - and bottom-feeding 'professionals' - to post/accept offensive rates, and the contests, in which you appear to have been a keen participant over the years.
All this, while we are waiting to hear about the 25-year-celebrations to kick off. Wonder - fear, more likely - what's lurking around the corner. But if the homepage font colour change from red to blue then reverted back to red of this past week is anything to go by, once again, I am not impressed.

Natasha Cloutier
Hans Lenting
Aurélien ARPAZ
Jennifer Levey
writeaway
Becca Resnik

Natasha Cloutier
Natasha Cloutier  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2023)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Ban exploitative rates for good Jun 24

Christina Pauly wrote:

Dear all,

I recently saw $0.01-0.03 per source word for French into English from some Asian company asking for a ton of qualifications. They know this is pure exploitation.

Yes, you have a warning that says that the prices are low, but you should ban this trash altogether. However, since you make money off it, it stays. Ask yourself honestly if you're doing good by your clients. I'm giving this platform one last year.

[Edited at 2024-06-24 10:13 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Barbara Carrara
Anne Maclennan
Paul Adie
MartinJ
writeaway

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jun 24

I think the state of the website reflects the state of our profession.

Charlie Bavington
Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach
Angus Stewart
IrinaN
Barbara Carrara

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:19
French to English
Yup (mainly!) Jun 24

Christopher Schröder wrote:

While it has always been a business, it never used to feel like one....

Luckily I only come for the craic.

I first joined eons back, then left in 2016 because of TM Town, so it felt like it was taking a wrong turn even back then.

I joined again last year (I think) and it's not what it was. Not as lively, in the good way it once was. Although clearly in my absence, some feuds have developed in Fr-Eng kudoz which make for, er, interesting reading. Craic, if you like

I can't see anything new on the site in the intervening years that I could consider positive.

Barbara Carrara
Christopher Schröder
ibz
Natasha Cloutier

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
anonymity Jun 24

The site keeps track of who votes Yes/No/etc. These polls are not anonymous. You're being watched.

I've often asked myself this question.
@ProZ, are your polls anonymous?

Christopher Schröder

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
a clear message but it's no news Jun 24

No. 45.7%
Not sure. 34.4%
Yes. 17.7%
N/A Other 2.1%
282 vote(s)

As for suggestions, there are plenty in the dedicated forum.
(Right now, the site has adaptive issues; the job list pages do not adapt to screen size beyond a certain width, the page with the "new" -now old too- design being completely messed up)

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Agree, and also Jun 25

Kay Denney wrote:

I think the state of the website reflects the state of our profession.

The state of the the socio-political-economic situation of the entire world

Natasha Cloutier

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 06:19
English to Russian
+ ...
And globalization Jun 27

Natasha Cloutier wrote:

I recently saw $0.01-0.03 per source word for French into English from some Asian company asking for a ton of qualifications. They know this is pure exploitation.

Yeah, "the 1st world", which comprises ~35% of global population, definitely lives in the exclusive bubble. The rest - in the jungle.

Proz operates globally. ~60% of human population, "some Asians" including, live on average salary of 300 - 1000 dollars/month. Mind it, $1000 for skilled workforce. Let's ban that trash altogether.

Off the top of my head - 200 dollars a month will provide a Vietnamese foreign language student, our competitor and likely a very tech-savvy person in all that modern AI/MT etc, with ample and delicious street food that costs 1 - 4 dollars per meal for a month. Plus paid practice.

BTW, French, English (and Dutch) paid "some Asians" much less when they ruled the land. Maybe chickens are coming home to roost? They dare to want a piece of internet and globalization pie so bubble problems are now just that, bubble problems.

Yes, 0.03 is garbage to me too but I am a part of the bubble population. At least I have some clear glass windows in the walls and resolve my problems without blaming others.

Christopher Schröder
Angie Garbarino

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think ProZ.com has improved its services in recent years?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »